The Key to Prevention is Early Detection
As a service to our surrounding community, the Health Awareness Center offers low-and no-cost preventive health screenings.
Some screenings are also routinely scheduled in the community. Check the class and event calendar for information on upcoming screenings.
Screenings offered include:
- Audiology (Hearing) Screening: A registered nurse will use a portable audiometer to screen each participant's hearing level. Participants with hearing levels outside the normal range will be referred to his/her private physician for further follow-up.
- Blood Pressure Screening: A registered nurse or health educator will measure participants' blood pressures to identify clients at risk for hypertension and refer them for medical follow-up. Written results, appropriate counseling and literature are also provided.
- Body Fat Analysis: The Futrex computer is used to calculate each client's ratio of body fat to lean body mass and water weight. The client receives a printout, appropriate counseling and literature.
- Total Cholesterol Screening: A registered nurse uses a finger stick procedure to identify those at risk for elevated cholesterol levels. Clients receive results in about 5 minutes and are counseled to follow-up with their private physician if necessary. No fasting is required.
- Glucose (Blood Sugar) Screening: This screening, performed by a registered nurse, is a finger stick procedure to identify those at risk for undiagnosed diabetes. Participants receive their results within a few minutes. For best results, patients should fast for at least 5 hours prior to the screening.
- Prostate Cancer Screening: Every fall and spring, the HAC sponsors a Prostate Cancer Screening for men age 45 and over who have never had a PSA blood test and have no previous diagnosis of prostate cancer. The screening includes a PSA blood test and digital rectal exam.
The Star and Barry Tobias Health Awareness Center is located at CentraState’s Star and Barry Tobias Ambulatory Campus, 901 West Main Street, Freehold, adjacent to Centrastate Medical Center.
Visit our classes or call (732) 308-0570 for more information on our screenings.