CentraState Has Been Designated a Baby-Friendly® Hospital!
The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) is an international program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). The Initiative celebrates hospitals and birth centers that have put in place policies and practices to enable parents to make informed choices about how they feed and care for their babies. The Baby-Friendly designation is the globally recognized symbol of world-class maternity care, and only 134 hospitals and birthing centers in the U.S. have received this designation.
What can YOU do to be “Baby Friendly”?
Skin-to-Skin and Breastfeed Within the First Hour of Birth
- Request to have skin-to-skin contact with your newborn within one hour of birth unless medically unsafe for you or the baby.
- Seize the opportunity to have your baby breastfeed within the first hour after delivery.
- Continue to have skin-to-skin with your baby before beginning each subsequent breastfeeding to allow the baby to orient himself or herself and get to know you.
- Ask to have your baby in your room at least 23 hours a day to bond with him or her, enable yourself to respond to the baby’s cues, and be there for him or her.
Feed on Demand
- If you allow the baby to express when he or she is hungry, you give the baby a learning opportunity to discover how to self-regulate feedings.
- It’s normal to have a minimum of 10 to 12 feedings in 24 hours with no particular pattern of frequency.
- Except if medically indicated.
Ask For Help!
- Please do not hesitate if you have any questions or need advice—the staff is more than willing to help you or refer you to support groups that may be able to provide further insight.
“Baby Friendly” is about providing information to you as the parent so that you can make an informed decision about feeding your baby and bonding with your baby.
To learn more about breastfeeding classes at CentraState, visit www.centrastate.com/healthprograms or call the Star and Barry Tobias Health Awareness Center at (732) 308-0570.