Whether due to an acute injury or chronic overuse, painful hand and upper extremity conditions can affect your work, your hobbies, and your life. Hand therapy at CentraState treats injuries and conditions of the hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder—relieving pain and restoring mobility. Treatment is typically provided by an occupational therapist.
Hand therapy is extremely specialized because few structures are as unique as the hand, with its 27 bones and multiple joints and ligaments. Our hand therapists develop individualized treatment plans for specific rehabilitation and therapy needs.
At CentraState’s OceanFirst Rehabilitation Center, our therapists treat many of conditions affecting the arms and hands, including:
- Problems resulting from an accident or injury, such as wounds, scars, burns, frostbite, injured tendons or nerves, fractures, or even amputations
- Repetitive-type disorders, such as tennis elbow or carpal tunnel syndrome
- Arthritic conditions and neurological conditions affecting the arms or hands
Following a thorough examination, our therapists develop an individualized treatment plan, which may include:
- Customized splint fabrication
- Wound care
- Range of motion and strengthening exercises
- Control of swelling
- Moist heat and cold therapy
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Ultrasound, cold laser, and electrical stimulation
- Iontophoresis – this delivers medication through the skin to control pain and swelling in smaller muscle groups. It can also be used to introduce medicines to soften scar tissue or desensitize thickening nerve tissues.
- Phonophoresis – this delivers medication through the skin to control pain and swelling in major muscle groups.
- Scar and soft tissue massage
- Desensitization and sensory re-education
- Joint protection education
- Therapeutic activities
- Customized home exercise programs
Hand therapy is a highly specialized field, requiring continuing education and often advanced certification. Certified hand therapists must have a minimum of five years clinical experience, pass a comprehensive exam, and be knowledgeable about leading-edge surgical techniques and postoperative therapy programs to become certified. This advanced knowledge enables our certified hand therapists to work with you to hasten your recovery and help you return to a productive lifestyle.