Living with a chronic health condition can be tough. You may be dealing with numerous challenges like not being able to eat certain foods, living with pain or fatigue, not going out as much, even depression. But it doesn’t have to be that way. At CentraState, we believe that your chronic condition doesn’t control your life—you do. That’s why we offer a variety of chronic condition management programs to delay the progression of a chronic condition or help control the symptoms of an existing one.
If you’ve just been diagnosed with high blood pressure or have been struggling to control it, CentraState’s free six-week hypertension management program can help.
Participants will learn self-management and home monitoring skills to empower and boost overall health. Also, learn how to work with your healthcare providers to take an active role in your heart health once the program concludes.
Participants will learn how diet, exercise and work/life balance affects heart health. During individual sessions, a health coach will discuss:
- Risk and treatment options
- Prevention of complications
- Blood pressure and medication monitoring
- Stress reduction and relaxation techniques
- Nutrition and healthy eating
Chronic Condition Self-Management Program
People with chronic conditions often feel overwhelmed, isolated and misunderstood. CentraState’s six-week Chronic Condition Self-Management program provides a safe place for those with chronic conditions and their caretakers to share stories, discuss coping skills, learn self-management techniques, and regain hope, confidence and control.
Participants will learn how to set individual goals and make a weekly step-by-step action plan to help them improve their health and well-being.
- Healthy eating
- Safely increasing physical activity
- Staying sharp and focused
- Handling emotional ups and downs
- Practical ways to deal with pain and fatigue
- Breathing techniques
- Problem solving and decision making
- Communicating with doctors and family
Ready to take control of your life and health? Call 732-308-0570 to find out when the next program is being offered.
Juggling your life and caregiving isn’t easy. Often, caregivers fall into the role and aren’t prepared for the challenges caregiving presents. CentraState’s Caregivers Workshop gives you the know-how you need to manage your loved one’s care confidently and the chance to connect with other caregivers who relate to what you’re experiencing.
This comprehensive virtual program will show you how to:
- Access available community resources
- Organize and manage medications
- Assist with bathing, bedtime, taking blood pressure, testing glucose levels, and other medical monitoring and at-home therapies.
- Use proper body mechanics when helping your loved one with activities like getting out of bed, standing up from the couch, climbing stairs, and getting in and out of a car.
- Take some “me” time to recharge and rejuvenate
Chronic Condition Fitness Classes
CentraState’s Fitness & Wellness Center offers evidence-based, medically supervised fitness programs designed to address specific conditions and diseases, including chronic back pain, cancer, bariatric weight loss, cardiac conditions, diabetes, Parkinson’s, arthritis and chronic pain.
Survivorship starts the moment you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer. For support and guidance, CentraState offers cancer navigator services, psychosocial counseling and support groups, as well as a monthly Survivorship Program where patients and their families get the information they need to live their best life—mind, body, and spirit.
You can also call the Statesir Cancer Center at
Chronic Condition Management Tools & Resources
Smoking, being at an unhealthy weight, unmanaged stress, poor nutrition and lack of physical exercise are risk factors that can lead to or worsen chronic conditions. If you want to quit smoking, lose weight, better manage stress, and learn how to develop a healthier lifestyle, CentraState has programs and classes that can help.