At The Spine Institute of Central New Jersey, we conduct a thorough evaluation to determine the best approaches for relieving your pain. You may benefit from pain management if you have a condition such as:
- Arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Chronic muscle spasm
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Complications following back surgery
- Fibromyalgia (generalized muscular pain and fatigue)
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Sciatica (shooting leg pain) or other radiating pain
Patients are generally accepted by physician referral. A letter of referral from your primary care physician should indicate your present condition along with a recommendation for a pain management evaluation. Please include the following information:
- Medical history describing your past treatments
- Diagnostic tests (please bring recent X-rays and MRIs on the day of your appointment)
- Present medications
- Insurance data (if you are covered through an HMO, you must have a referral by your HMO primary care provider)
- Personal information (address, telephone number, etc.)
Our staff will contact you to make an appointment once they receive this information from your physician.
Your first appointment will include a review of your medical records and a complete medical history taken by a specially-trained registered nurse. You will have a physical examination with an emphasis on your pain and how it affects you. This will help your physician determine what tests and treatments may be necessary. After your consultation, the pain specialist will describe what the pain management program can offer and design a treatment plan targeted to your needs.
Pain is the most common cause of suffering and disability, affecting quality of life for many people. It can be acute, such as after an operation or injury. It also can be a long-standing problem for which common pain-relieving therapies provide little or no relief. No matter what type of pain you have or its source (for example, nerve injury, muscle spasms, back problems, or cancer) steps can be taken to control and reduce it.
At CentraState, our board-certified physicians specialize in the treatment and relief of pain. They take a team approach to your care by working closely with primary care physicians, specialists, physical therapists, social workers, and other health professionals. Our staff is committed to quality, personalized treatment that provides pain relief, restored activity, improved quality of life, and peace of mind in the shortest amount of time.