CentraState is an advanced Primary Stroke Center with licensed certification from The Joint Commission and New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. We are among an elite group of hospitals with a specially trained "Stroke Alert" response team.
The stroke response team consists of an Emergency Department (ED) physician, neurologist, ED RN, and a stroke coordinator, all of whom have special training in caring for stroke patients.
The team is available around the clock to assess patients immediately upon their arrival at the Emergency Department and initiate appropriate treatment, which may include the administration of a "clot busting" medication. When a patient is experiencing stroke symptoms, every second counts in preventing or limiting damage to brain tissue.
Symptoms of a stroke include:
- SUDDEN numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- SUDDEN confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- SUDDEN trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- SUDDEN difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- SUDDEN severe headache with no known cause
Call 911 immediately upon experiencing or observing any of these warning signs.
For more information about CentraState's Stroke Center, call 866-CENTRA7 (866-236-8727).