Live life well by taking advantage of the many routine health screenings available to you through CentraState Healthcare System. Low- or no-cost offerings are provided through CentraState’s Star and Barry Tobias Health Awareness Center, our Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation department and our Statesir Cancer Center. Check the class and event calendar for information on upcoming screenings.
Routine Health Screenings
- Audiology (Hearing) Screening: In this screening, a registered nurse uses a portable audiometer to check hearing levels. Those with results outside the normal range are referred to their physician for follow up.
- Lipid Profile Screening: A registered nurse or health educator uses a finger stick procedure to identify those at risk for elevated total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglyceride levels. Participants receive their results in about 5 minutes and are counseled to follow-up with their private physician if necessary. No fasting is required.
- Blood Pressure Screening: A registered nurse or health educator measures blood pressure to identify those at risk for hypertension and refer them for medical follow up. Written results, appropriate counseling, and literature are also provided.
- Glucose (Blood Sugar) Screening: This finger stick procedure, performed by a registered nurse/health or health educator, is designed to identify those at risk for undiagnosed diabetes. Participants receive their results within a few seconds. For best results, patients should fast for at least 5 to 7 hours prior to the screening.
- Bone Density Screening: Know your risk score with a quick and simple test to evaluate bone density in the heel which correlates with bone density of the hip and spine. The test can tell you if you have normal bone density, low bone density (osteopenia) or osteoporosis.
- CentraScreen: Eight important health screenings in one hour. Many times, there aren’t any signs or symptoms prior to a health condition or event. This can help detect problems early for asymptomatic patients who are not candidates for insurance covered screenings. Participants will also receive strength, balance and memory testing to indicate their “real age” and guide them in preserving and restoring both their physical and mental health.
- Visual Acuity Screening: Performed by a registered nurse or health educator, this screening measures visual accuracy against the norms. Those with less than optimal results are counseled to follow up with their physician.
- PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease) Screening: In this non-invasive screening, a registered nurse or health educator trained in the use of Dopplers measures blood pressure in both arms and legs. A ratio is then calculated to determine how well the blood flows in the legs. This is followed by a one-on-one consultation with a cardiologist to determine the risk for PAD. Written results, cardiologist recommendations, and literature are also provided.
Weight Management Tools
- Body Fat Analysis: A hand-held analyzer is used to calculate the ratio of body fat to lean body mass and water weight. Written results, appropriate counseling, and literature are also provided.
- Metabolic Analysis: Do you have a slow metabolism? A ReeVue® Metabolic Rate Analysis can help you determine the number of calories you burn each day and the number of calories you must consume in order to lose weight. A detailed report is provided.
Pediatric Health Screenings
- Scoliosis Screening: Schroth Barcelona Institute certified therapists who specialize in adolescent scoliosis offer free screenings at CentraState for ages 10 to 17 years old through the OceanFirst Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy department. Each person who participates will receive a copy of the screening results that offer approximate measurements.
- Prostate Cancer Screening: If you suspect you are experiencing prostate cancer symptoms, the Health Awareness Center offers a prostate cancer screening for men ages 40 and older who have never had a PSA blood test and have no previous diagnosis of prostate cancer. The screening includes a PSA blood test and digital rectal exam.
- Colorectal Cancer Screening: This screening is for men and women ages 40 and older who have not been previously diagnosed with the disease.
- Skin Cancer Screening: This screening is for those ages 16 and older. A physician screens for suspicious lesions or moles and makes recommendations based on the individual’s history and examination.
- Head and Neck Cancer Screening: A quick, painless screening for anyone who smokes or uses tobacco products, drinks alcohol, or spends a lot of time in the sun. These behaviors can put you at risk for head and neck cancers.
- Thyroid Screening: This screening is for those ages 18 and older who have not been previously diagnosed with thyroid disease or thyroid cancer. It includes a blood test and a thyroid examination by a physician, who makes recommendations based on the physical exam at that time. Within one week, a letter is sent with blood test results and physician recommendations for follow up if needed.
- COVID-19 vaccine: CentraState offers free COVID vaccination walk-in clinics.
- Seasonal flu vaccine: We offer flu shots to those ages 4 and older. People at the highest risk of developing flu complications include young children, older adults, pregnant women, those with weakened immune systems and chronic illnesses. Getting a seasonal flu shot can lessen your risk of complications from the flu and hospitalization.
- Tdap vaccine: Recommended for pregnant women between 27 to 36 weeks, family members between ages 11 and 64, and caregivers of infants up to 12 months of age. This vaccine protects against whooping cough (also known as pertussis), an acute infectious disease that is highly contagious.