At CentraState, we understand that caring for a sick child affects the entire family. Our professional pediatric nursing staff is sensitive to the needs of parents, siblings, and grandparents alike. We know the important part you play in your child’s recovery and well-being.
In addition to care and resources, our dedicated pediatric staff provides a soothing, home-like atmosphere to ensure the speedy recovery of your child and the comfort of the whole family. The family-centered services on our Pediatric unit include—
Locating a Pediatrician
- Unrestricted visitation for parents and guardians—24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week
- Flexible, convenient visiting hours for siblings and extended family
- Spacious, private and semi-private accommodations
- Access to kitchen and food preparation area
- Comfortable fold-out guest beds and fresh linens for overnight stays in your child's room
- Fully equipped private bathrooms and showers
- Separate treatment rooms for diagnostic procedures, leaving patient rooms as "safe havens"
- Recreation rooms, including mobile video game carts
- Private telephones and free TV service for patients under 18 years of age
If you have chosen CentraState’s First Impressions Maternity Center for the birth of your child, and you do not yet have a pediatrician, we will be happy to refer you to one of our skilled, board-certified pediatricians upon admission. We can also assist you to locate a pediatrician if your child’s doctor is not affiliated with CentraState Healthcare System. Please check the list of Pediatric Departmant Doctors to the right or access our Physician Finder located in the top right corner of this section.
For more information, please call CentraState Medical Center at (732) 431-2000 and ask to speak with the Pediatric unit. To schedule a tour, please call the Star and Barry Tobias Health Awareness Center
at (732) 308-0570.
Pediatrics and Maternity
At CentraState, our Pediatric unit and First Impressions Maternity Center work hand-in-hand to ensure the thorough, coordinated care of our newborn patients. Our board-certified pediatricians and obstetricians (birthing doctors) consider your child’s well-being a shared responsibility, and work side by side to care for newborn patients who need special attention.
Should newborn patients require specialized care, our board-certified neonatologists (physicians who care for newborns under the age of one month) offer expert care for these youngest of patients. Our neonatologists collaborate with the obstetrician and pediatrician to ensure your child receives top-notch care, and that your child’s progress is reported to you every step of the way.
Nutrition and Meals
Our pediatric nurses at CentraState are cross-trained to provide comprehensive care to diverse patient populations, including mother and newborn. Our nurses are cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and pediatric advanced life support (PALS) certified, and are considered a resource for pediatric advice and assessment for the entire CentraState Medical Center.
Whether a patient is a few hours old, a young adult, or a new mom in need of after-delivery follow-up, you can be assured that our experienced pediatric nursing staff will offer the most thorough care possible.
Nutrition is a necessity, and sharing meals can be a familiar comfort for both patient and their families. As a part of our family-friendly services, we offer:
- Full kitchen access - We invite parents to use our conveniently located kitchen facility to prepare and store the special foods their child may desire. We encourage family members to bring food from home, as long as it is in keeping with any dietary restrictions set by the patient's physician.
- Special pediatric menu - We offer three meals and two snacks daily—appropriately sized and specifically prepared with your child’s needs and tastes in mind.
- Customized meals - Our pediatric nursing staff coordinates closely with our Nutrition Department. We can ensure a customized meal for your child—no matter what his or her needs.
Parents are invited to contact the Nutrition Department directly at (732) 431-2000 with any questions or requests.
We have two recreation rooms designed to entertain, stimulate, and provide social contact for your child or adolescent. Provided your child’s physician has not put any restrictions on physical activity, your child will have free access to toys, games, books, and video games, and may bring them back to his or her room. Parents may choose washable toys from our play area to share with children in isolation rooms. We also have a number of portable TVs and video games for your child’s entertainment.
Pediatrician On Site 24/7
Children benefit most from seeing pediatricians—physicians specially trained in children’s health. That’s why pediatricians staff our Emergency Department around the clock, seven days a week.
Additionally, the Star and Barry Tobias Emergency Pediatric Care area of our Emergency Department includes five private rooms decorated in child-friendly themes. Youngsters and parents alike appreciate the large, flat-screen LCD television in each room, which can contribute to a more comforting environment for an apprehensive child.
For more information, please call CentraState Medical Center at (732) 431-2000 and ask to speak with the Pediatric unit. To schedule a tour, please call (732) 308-0570.