Expectant mothers need to be sure they get plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins to help ensure they get the nutrients they need for their unborn baby’s development. The following are two recipes that are ideal for prenatal meals.
Served over rice, this delicious dish is loaded with vegetables and skinless chicken breasts, making it a lower fat, lower salt one-dish meal.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 medium chicken breast halves, skinned and fat removed, boned,
and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 zucchini, about 7 inches long, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes, cut up
1 clove garlic, minced
1½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add chicken and sauté about three minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley and pepper; stir and continue cooking
about five minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
Serving Size: 1½ cup
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Info (per 1½-cup serving)
Spinach Personal Pizza
1 8-inch flour tortilla
2 Tablespoons pizza sauce
10 spinach leaves, fresh
1 sliced Roma tomato
2 Tablespoons low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Turn on oven broiler.
2. Spray cookie sheet with spray margarine and place tortilla on sheet.
3. Toast tortilla lightly on both sides under broiler.
4. Top tortilla with sauce, spinach leaves, and tomato slices.
5. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese.
6. Place under broiler until cheese melts.
Serving Size: 1 tortilla
Yield: 1 serving
Fat: 8.9 g