Getting a knee or hip replacement is a big decision. You should always try conservative treatments first. If, however, they don’t work and your knee or hip pain is significantly impacting your life, you may be ready for joint replacement surgery.
Our orthopedic specialists have put together this simple quiz to help you determine whether it’s time to consider joint replacement surgery:
- Does the pain limit your normal activity?
- Is it difficult to get up after sitting?
- Do you have pain even when you’re at rest?
- Does the pain affect your sleep?
- Do you have chronic swelling/inflammation or stiffness?
- Have you received little to no relief from conservative treatments, such as RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), physical therapy, braces, footwear modification, over-the-counter medications like aspirin and ibuprofen, and cortisone/lubrication injections?
If you’ve answered yes to most of the quiz questions, you may be a candidate for joint replacement surgery and should speak with an orthopedic specialist.