Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Pancakes
1/3 cup old-fashioned, rolled oats
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup skim milk
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes*
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon*
1/3 cup Splenda
*You can substitute canned pumpkin in this recipe for pumpkin pancakes and instead of cinnamon use pumpkin pie spice.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, and yogurt. Let stand until oats soften. Mix in egg, egg whites, vanilla, skim milk and mashed sweet potato.
- In a large bowl, mix together whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and Splenda.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour entire wet mixture into the well and fold together until completely incorporated.
- Coat a griddle or non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Use 1/3 cup batter for each pancake and cook until brown on bottom and some bubbles begin to break around edges. Turn pancake over and cook until brown and slightly firm to the touch in the center.
- Repeat procedure for remaining 9 pancakes.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size is 1 pancake)
Fat: 1.5 g
Protein: 8 g